The Department of Telecommunications has introduced the Sanchar Saathi Portal, an innovative initiative aimed at empowering mobile subscribers and enhancing their security while increasing awareness of government initiatives. This platform enables citizens to effectively manage and monitor the mobile connections registered under their name, while also providing valuable features such as disconnecting unnecessary connections, tracking lost phones, and verifying the authenticity of devices during new or used purchases.
To achieve these goals, the portal incorporates two significant modules known as Central Equipment Identity Register (CEIR) and Telecom Analytics for Fraud Management and Consumer Protection (TAFCOP).
CEIR is the citizen centric portal of Department of Telecommunications for tracing the lost/stolen mobile devices. This also facilitates for blocking of lost/stolen mobile devices in network of all telecom operators so that lost/stolen devices can not be used in India. If anyone tries to use the blocked mobile phone, its traceability is generated. Once mobile phone is found it may be unblocked on the portal for its normal use by the citizens.The user should block the IMEI of their phone if it has been lost/stolen.
The user can block the phone’s IMEI by any one of the following means:
- Through a form submitted on this website. The procedure to do it is as follows: –
- File a report with the police, and keep a copy of the report.
- Get a duplicate SIM Card for the lost number from your telecom service provider (eg, Airtel, Jio, Voda/Idea, BSNL, MTNL etc.). This is essential because you will need to provide this as the primary mobile number (OTP will be sent on this number) while submitting the request for blocking your IMEI.
Note: As per TRAI’s regulation, SMS facility on re-issued SIMs is enabled after 24 hours of SIM activation.
- Get your documents ready – a copy of police report and an Identity Proof must be provided. You can also provide the mobile purchase invoice.
- Fill out the request registration form for blocking the IMEI of lost/stolen phone, and attach the required documents. Click here to go to the form.
- After submitting the form, you will be given a Request ID. The same can be used for checking the status of your request and for unblocking the IMEI in future.
- Through State Police.