Live Transcribe has a new name Live Transcribe & Sound Notifications. It’s an app that makes everyday conversations and surrounding sounds more accessible among people who are deaf and hard of hearing, using just your Android phone.
Using Google’s state-of-the-art automatic speech recognition and sound detection technology, Live Transcribe & Sound Notifications provides you free, real-time transcriptions of your conversations and sends notifications based on your surrounding sounds at home. The notifications make you aware of important situations at home, such as a fire alarm or doorbell ringing, so that you can respond quickly.
- Open your device’s Settings app.
- Tap Accessibility, then tap Live Transcribe, or Sound Notifications, depending on which app you’d like to start.
- Tap Use service, then accept the permissions.
- Use the Accessibility button or gesture to start Live Transcribe or Sound Notifications.
[New] Sound Notifications
- Get notified of potential risky situations and personal situations based on sounds happening at home (for example, smoke alarm, siren, baby sounds).
- Get notifications with a flashing light or vibration to your mobile device or wearable.
- Timeline view lets you go back in history (currently limited to 12 hours) to see what was happening around you.
- Transcribes in real-time. Text appears on your phone as words are spoken.
- Accurately captures the nuances of how words are used in context.
- Choose from over 80 languages and dialects, and quickly switch between two languages.
- Add custom words that you use frequently, like names or household items.
- Set your phone to vibrate when someone says your name.
- Type responses in your conversation. Bring up your phone’s keyboard and type your words for a continuous dialogue. Transcriptions still appear while you type.
- See the volume of the speaker’s voice compared to the loudness in your environment. You can use this sound indicator to adjust your volume when you speak.
- Use external microphones found in wired headsets, Bluetooth headsets, and USB mics for better audio reception.
Referring back to transcription
- Choose to save transcriptions for 3 days. Saved transcriptions will stay locally on your device for 3 days, so you can copy and paste them elsewhere. (By default, transcriptions are not saved.)
- Search within saved transcriptions.
- Touch and hold text in transcription to copy and paste.